Re: Printing woes (lpd causes kernal panic - machine check)

Subject: Re: Printing woes (lpd causes kernal panic - machine check)
From: Stephen Paullada (paullada@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 09:12:46 MST

on 11/29/00 5:27 PM, Hollis R Blanchard at hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Stephen Paullada wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info Hollis! The serial port on the 8500 for the printer is
>> tty01.
>
> That will be /dev/ttyS1... :)
>
>> Where all do I need to put this info? It seems there are several
>> "tools" for setting up the printer. Do they all need to be configured?
>> I've muddled about with this for hours now and the machine still crashes
>> when lpd starts. Am I not looking in the right place? TIA
>
> How did you set it up in the first place? printtool?
>
> -Hollis

I used printtool and set up an Epson Stylus 600 on ttyS1. /var/log/dmesg
had the following line: "tty01 at 0xf3013000 (irq = 16) is a Z8530 ESCC,
port = printer" , hence my mistaken belief that the port was tty01.

lpd no longer crashes, but when trying to print anything, all I get is a
series of dots, which stops mid page and weirds out the printer. Any
suggestions?

Thanks for the help wih this Hollis!
-Steve