Re: Giving Vhost users access

Subject: Re: Giving Vhost users access
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 18:23:50 MST

> <Newbie>We're going to have a relatively small number of virtual host
> clients on our Yellow Dog Linux server. Is there a fairly standard
> way of providing ftp access to a virtual host without giving a user
> shell access or allowing them to browse directories outside of their
> virtual host?</Newbie>
>
> The machine is running ProFTP.

What you want to do is create a chroot jail for your users. Here's a sample
of what you need to add to your /etc/proftpd.conf:

ServerName "ProFTPD"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on
DefaultRoot ~ #This is what creates the chroot jail
IdentLookups off #This speeds up your logins
MaxLoginAttempts 3 #prevents people from forcing passwords

#You can also use the limit command to deny certain commands to users.

 <Limit MKD DELE>
                DenyUser example
 </Limit>

To complete the chroot jail assign the directory you want to restrict the
users to as the users home directory. For more information see:
http://www.proftpd.net/

--
"Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of