Re: Good USB cdrom burner software

Subject: Re: Good USB cdrom burner software
From: Dima Pasechnik (d.pasechnik@twi.tudelft.nl)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 16:00:14 MST

Jonathan Bertsch <jonathan@osu.edu> writes:

> There are tons of applications for burning cds, for example, Xcdroast,
> KreateCD(for KDE), and Gcombust(for GNOME), and there are many more, but
> the bigger problem is that I'm not sure if USB cd burners work under
> linux (or at least in very developmental stages), and since I cannot even
> get my usb zip 250 drive to work you might be out of luck for now...

USB storage devices in 2.2-kernels are not supported, IMHO.
However, 2.4-kernels support at least some USB CD burners,
e.g. HP CD Writer 8230e (with kernel 2.4.0-test9).
(see http://www.linux-usb.org/ for more on this)

Another question is of course whether these kernels would work
on your PPC machine...

HTH,
Dmitrii.