Re: Unstuffing and installing

Subject: Re: Unstuffing and installing
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 05:24:38 MST

Charles Stevenson wrote:

> The best way to do this with YDL is to use RPMS not tarballs... RPM will put
> the files where they need to go and set the permissions correctly.
>
> `man rpm` ;-)

This strategy works extremely well for anything Terrasoft puts out. I use it on anything that is available from them directly. But since not all RPMS are created by Terrasoft, wouldn't there be differences that rpm
couldn't handle? What would happen if someone with required files in /opt created an rpm and I tried to install it on my machine. Would the files land in /opt correctly? Would the /opt directory get created by rpm if
it did not exist? Also what happens if I've upgraded a library and the rpm insists on a version that is no longer current?

While I have not built a large number of packages, I have been able to build a few things from sources. I prefer building from sources to asking "Where can I find an rpm for..." in one or another mailing list, and then
waiting for someone to produce one compatible with the pretty much stock CS 1.2.1 system I have.

OpenSSH
OpenSSL
Zlib
Python,
WxGtk
WxPython
XChat (latest)
Bzip2
Parts of Kde2 (Kde2 is a work in progress)

Sometimes it is a struggle to get things built this way, but some things just build right the first time using the standard ./configure; make; make install; commands. Sometimes you have to add a soft link to get the
configure or build to work correctly. In a few cases a patch must be applied to get the build to work.

I'm still looking at VNC with bewilderment. Still learning I guess...

-pat