XFree86-4.0.1 rpms

Subject: XFree86-4.0.1 rpms
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 22:53:26 MST

I understand some of you have already gone through dependancy hell to get
XF4 installed, but I've just built XF4 rpms against a stock CS 1.2.1
system. They're at http://yellowdoglinux.com/~hollis/xf4/.

The upgrade is a little tricky but honestly not bad. Just follow the
README. I listed the minimum rpm's you'll need to upgrade, but feel free
to install the other ones too. You will need to install the
seemingly-unrelated rpm's in that directory, like filesystem, setup, etc.

I am currently having some missing font issues (which I welcome feedback
on) - fonts like Helvetica seem to be missing, although they were
installed with the -75dpi package...

Anyways, please use Xautoconfig4
(http://penguinppc.org/~trini/Xautoconfig-0.11-1.ppc.rpm or later) to set
up your XF86Config file, and let myself and Tom (the Xautoconfig author)
know if something doesn't come out right.

Also let me know if there are dependancies I've missed that need to be
rebuilt.

People on older machines (non-Rage 128) should try too, and I'd be
interested in hearing any success/failure stories from you folks.

Clearly, don't install on a box which you require to be running 100%
perfectly. ;)

-Hollis