Long waits for telnet connections

Subject: Long waits for telnet connections
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 14:34:38 MST

I've got our G4 YDL box configured with two IP addresses, one for our
internal LAN and the other for the internet. Obviously, it's much
faster to work on the server by connecting locally, but it often
takes a looong time to connect either via telnet or ftp. I've
configured proFTPD to not do dns looks as specified to speed things
up, but both services still crawl on connects.

Once the connection is established, everything is blazing fast.

Any theories?