Re: Long waits for telnet connections

Subject: Re: Long waits for telnet connections
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 19:07:58 MST

>I've got our G4 YDL box configured with two IP addresses, one for our
>internal LAN and the other for the internet. Obviously, it's much
>faster to work on the server by connecting locally, but it often
>takes a looong time to connect either via telnet or ftp. I've
>configured proFTPD to not do dns looks as specified to speed things
>up, but both services still crawl on connects.
>
>Once the connection is established, everything is blazing fast.
>
>Any theories?

I had this problem for a while. Make sure both machines have each other in
their /etc/hosts files. If I remember right it was the client that needed a
ref to the server, but I could be wrong.

As for FTP, I'm not sure. I think mine got faster when I added the entry to
/etc/hosts, but if you've told it not to do reverse dns lookups then I'm
not sure what the problem is. It's worth a try, just in case it's not
paying attention!

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall