Re: XFree86-4.0.1 rpms and kernels

Subject: Re: XFree86-4.0.1 rpms and kernels
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 13:12:18 MST

> > >I understand some of you have already gone through dependancy hell to get
>> >XF4 installed, but I've just built XF4 rpms against a stock CS 1.2.1
>> >system. They're at http://yellowdoglinux.com/~hollis/xf4/.
>>
>> Is "stock CS 1.2.1" a 2.3 kernel?
>
>Clearly not.

Yes, I meant to rhetorically answer my question in the original post
along similar lines ("surely not"), but I forgot :-)

>> When I try to rpm -Uhv initscripts, I get a failed dependency because
>> I have <= kernel 2.2. Can I just plow ahead anyway (I'm now on
>> kernel.org's 2.2.18)?
>
>Do you have a kernel rpm installed?

No I build my own. I suspect this is the issue and it's therefore not
a problem with 2.2.x. I was just trying to cover all bases on my
fatal signal 11...

P.S. just a note on the rpms themselves: I was careful to go slowly
and remove as many dependencies as possible along the way. In the
end, I was able to install all your rpms with no meaningful
dependency issues. But the filesystem-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm was weird: I
kept getting errors trying to upgrfade it as long as I had a CD
mounted. It was the YDL 1.2.1 CD FWIW. No need to answer, just an
observation for you.

Stefan