Re: XFree86-4.0.1 rpms and kernels

Subject: Re: XFree86-4.0.1 rpms and kernels
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 13:19:14 MST

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> >> When I try to rpm -Uhv initscripts, I get a failed dependency because
> >> I have <= kernel 2.2. Can I just plow ahead anyway (I'm now on
> >> kernel.org's 2.2.18)?
> >
> >Do you have a kernel rpm installed?
>
> No I build my own. I suspect this is the issue and it's therefore not
> a problem with 2.2.x. I was just trying to cover all bases on my
> fatal signal 11...

This is how rpm works. If it's not in the db, it's not installed. I would
recommend installing the kernel rpm; I'm not saying you have to actually
use the kernel...

> P.S. just a note on the rpms themselves: I was careful to go slowly
> and remove as many dependencies as possible along the way. In the
> end, I was able to install all your rpms with no meaningful
> dependency issues. But the filesystem-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm was weird: I
> kept getting errors trying to upgrfade it as long as I had a CD
> mounted. It was the YDL 1.2.1 CD FWIW. No need to answer, just an
> observation for you.

3 people have mentioned that now, but I'm not sure that's a solvable
problem. The error comes from rpm itself while extracting the new files.
I've never heard of this problem before though... I don't know. Maybe I
should add 'eject' to the pre-install script.

-Hollis