Re: yup -> no USB kbd, no cd, no sound

Subject: Re: yup -> no USB kbd, no cd, no sound
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 20:42:31 MST

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, A S Hodel wrote:

> I ran yup this week to upgrade the packages I'd installed from YDL CS 1.2.
> I'm using a 1999 Powerbook G3. Once yup was done, sound no longer worked
> (there are two FAILED messages at boot-up related to unlocated dmasound
> modules), the CD-ROM on the powerbook is no longer recognized ("File format
> iso 9660 not recognized" or something like that), and my usb keyboard is no
> longer supported (error message something like "conflicting modules"). I
> suspect that there is some miscommunication between the old kernel version
> on YDL CS 1.2 and that installed by yup.

The trouble is that you (through no fault of your own) aren't using the
newly-installed kernel, but the modules for the old kernel (which supply
all of the functionality you list) were removed.

The easiest solution is to copy /boot/vmlinux to replace the one on your
boot partition (downloading
ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/updates/kernel/vmlinux will get you the same
thing).

Alternatively you could modify your yaboot.conf (which would prevent this
from happening again in the future, should there be another kernel
upgrade) and replace the image lines with ones pointing to your root
partition's /boot/vmlinux (as I explained earlier today), but it sounds
like that may be more involved than you're interested in.

Anyways, after booting from the new kernel everything will work as
expected.

-Hollis