XFree86 4.0.1 Install Help

Subject: XFree86 4.0.1 Install Help
From: John Duarte (john@keylitho.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 10:21:37 MST

Help! I am trying to install XFree86 4.0.1 onto my iMac (slot load CD with
rage 128 video).
I am following Andrew Arthur's guide at the imaclinux site. Here's the link:

http://www.imaclinux.net/php/imaclinux_g_h.php3?single=37

The only deviations I have made from these instructions are:

1. the rsync command for updatind the drivers would only work when I
changed the
 source to "penguinppc.org::xfree86-pmac"

2. I renamed the xc directory to xfree86 to match the remainder of the guide.

When I execute startx I get the following:

        xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

        Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin in in your path
and the "X"
        is a program or a link to the right type of server for your
display. Possible
        server names include
                XFree86 XFree86 displays

I checked the PATH variable in /etc/profile and it does contain /usr/X11R6/bin.
There is no "X" however. I would create one but I don't know what to link
it to. My xfree86
directory does not contain any files called XFree86 or XFree86 displays.

Oh, one last thing. the guide said that the 'rsync' command would take a
few minutes and it took about 40 minutes. It also said that the 'make
World' command would take about 6 hours and it only took 1 hour.
I did not see any errors in the 'make World' nor in the 'make install'
processes.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
John

John Duarte
Key Lithograph