Re: How is YDL...?

Subject: Re: How is YDL...?
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 18:31:19 MST

Personally I find YDL the most professional and reliable of the various Linuces
for PPC. I too gave up on LinuxPPC after having install trouble (though I hear
it's improved). This is not to say YDL is perfect, but the learning experience
isn't completely roadblocked, and people are quite helpful here on this list.
FWIW, I've installed on one 333Mhz iMac and two 7500's (one of which has an 8500
daughtercard in it) with no real hardware problems. Successfully using Apache,
PHP, PostFix, QPopper, OpenSSH, KDE2 (well, success here is relative...),
Helix-GNOME, Java, Python and lots of other fun stuff.
In general a spirit of adventure is called for, as well as some patience when
the Latest and Greatest doesn't reach our platform the same day as it does x86.
Have you looked at http://www.imaclinux.net?
Also have a look at CNET's review at
http://cnet.com/linux/0-2136876-7-4098985.... Oh hell, just follow the link from
the bottom of the imaclinux page (^&*$#@ long URL's!)