XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]

Subject: XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 19:15:45 MST

Thanks to Bob Neugebauer for the final puzzle piece. Sorry for the
cross-post, but I surmise that the readership does not necessarily
cross :-)

title:
How-to, XFree86 4.0.1 on an ADB Mac (the 6500) [including input layer]

(I hope I don't leave anything out, and sorry if I misuse geek terminology)

1. Upgrade to dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm (or later I presume). You can
find this at
<http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html>. This will
install the input layer devices. After, you should see things like:

[jeglin@linux jeglin]$ ls -l /dev |grep mouse
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 10, 10 Jul 2 12:22 adbmouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Dec 17 18:09 mouse -> adbmouse
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 6 May 5 1998 sunmouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 17 14:27 usbmouse -> input/mice

[jeglin@linux jeglin]$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 63 Jul 2 12:22 /dev/input/mice

Note: the link mouse->adbmouse can be changed but it doesn't matter
(see further below). The link can be changed with mouseconfig BUT
mouseconfig will mess with your XF86Config file in ways that you
don't want for XF4. I'm a little unclear on this point, but basically
forget about /dev/mouse, and make sure /dev/input/mice exists.

2. Get the 2.2.18 kernel.org sources. Compile using your favorite
settings, but include USB and the input layer. Here is the relevant
sections of my dotconfig (all no responses are stripped for brevity;
some of the yeses may be unnecessary, but I don't know):

#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y

#
# Mac device drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
CONFIG_MAC_HID=y
CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y

3. Get the XF4.0.1 ppc rpms, kindly provided by Hollis Blanchard,
probably in anticipation of YDL 2.0, at
<ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/users/hollis/xf4>. I uninstalled all
trace of XF3.3 beforehand just to be clean about things, but I don't
think this is strictly required. I installed as root, paid attn to
dependencies, and went and got YDL updates along the way for files
that aren't directly related to X. In the end, there were few
--nodeps or --force switches required and none to be alarmed about,
but YMMV. Here are the critical links that have to be in place AFAICT:

/etc/X11/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -> Xwrapper

IIRC, the second link was created correctly, *but the first*, to
XFree86, was not and had to be done manually.

4. Get and update to Xautoconfig-0.12-1 by Tom Rini, at
<ftp://penguinppc.org/users/trini/Xautoconfig-0.12/>. Run
Xautoconfig4, which will save the file /etc/X11/Xautoconfig-4. In
this saved file, make the following changes:

        a. comment out 'Load "v4l"' in the Modules section.
        b. change "macintosh" to "macintosh_old" in the keyboard Input Device
                section.
        c. change "BusMouse" to "IMPS/2" in the Protocol section
                of the mouse InputDevice section.
        d. change "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/input/mice" in the Device section
                of the mouse InputDevice section.
        e. I have a Mouse Systems MacPointPro 3-button mouse so I commented
                out 'Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"'

Notes: Hollis pointed out that the v4l modules could crash X. Indeed,
until I commented it out, I was getting fatal signal 11s. Bob
Neugebauer provided the 'macintosh_old' hint. Until I put that in,
the keymap in console mode was fine, but the keymap in an xterm was
messed up. Finally, since the Mouse Device section here is explicitly
pointed to /dev/input/mice, it doesn't matter whether /dev/mouse is
linked to anything (AFAICT).

5. Wait, you're not done. In /etc/sysctl.conf, make sure you have
this line present:
# Enables new keycodes on PPC
dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 0

6. Reboot to run your shiny new input-layer 2.2.18 kernel. Then run
startx and hope that I have not left anything out here!

A note: with XF-3.3.6, GNOME always ate my 'xmodmap -e pointer = ...'
directive in .xinitrc, while KDE did not eat it. As a result I always
had to run xmodmap after GNOME booted to get my 3-button mouse to map
correctly, but never had to with KDE. With XF-4.0.1, KDE now eats my
directive too, so I always have to run it after the fact. Check the
archives in the last month for my name and "xmodmap" for some
discussion.

Comments welcome. Oh BTW, I was also able to compile the XF401 source
along with Ani's driver changes, but everything I'm doing here is
strictly with Hollis's rpms and whatever ATI drivers are included. My
6500 has both a Rage Pro PCI card and a Rage II on-board chip, and I
run it in dual-monitor mode with MacOS. I have partly adapted my
Xautoconfig-4 for both monitors, but it is not finished yet -
besides, Hollis says that dual-monitor is not working with XF4.0.1. I
don't know if this has something to do with his build, the ppc, the
drivers, or what.

Good luck.

Stefan Jeglinski