recompiling kernel on RS/6000...

Subject: recompiling kernel on RS/6000...
From: Kevin Hall (kevinhall@indxhq.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 14:42:18 MST

        Hi, I have a RS/6000 F50 7025 on which I recently installed Champion Server
1.2.1 but the instructions at
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_rs6k.shtml produced a kernel
2.2.17-pre1 with modules 2.2.17, which caused module errors when booting
(because of the different /lib/modules/kernel_version directory). So I
decided to get kernel 2.2.18 to fix the problem, I went through the
compiling of the kernel with the usual steps; make mrproper, make
menuconfig, make dep, make zImage, make modules, make modules_install and
everything finished without any problems.
        I moved the kernel from /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/vmlinuz (whatever it was
called) to /boot and pointed /boot/vmlinux to the new kernel. Then I moved
the System.map from /usr/src/linux to /boot and made a symbolic link to the
new System.map. Finally I called the command dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/sda1
(where sda1 is my PReP partition). When I reboot I the system doesn't boot,
instead it tries and then gives me an 8 digit error code on the rs/6000 LED.
        Does my kernel compilation steps sound right? And do I have to do anything
with zImage-prep or zImage-chrp? What is my machine anyway, PReP or CHRP? I
don't know the difference. And under what processor should I compile the
kernel?

Thank you,
Kevin