Re: XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]

Subject: Re: XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]
From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 11:19:22 MST

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 09:15:45PM -0500, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> title:
> How-to, XFree86 4.0.1 on an ADB Mac (the 6500) [including input layer]

Um. It looks like you're using the new mouse bit but not the keycodes. :)

> Note: the link mouse->adbmouse can be changed but it doesn't matter
> (see further below). The link can be changed with mouseconfig BUT
> mouseconfig will mess with your XF86Config file in ways that you
> don't want for XF4. I'm a little unclear on this point, but basically
> forget about /dev/mouse, and make sure /dev/input/mice exists.

The mouseconfig in Halloween should set everything up properly. Also,
mouseconfig/kbdconfig only modify /etc/X11/XF86Config, _not_ XF86Config-4.

> 4. Get and update to Xautoconfig-0.12-1 by Tom Rini, at
> <ftp://penguinppc.org/users/trini/Xautoconfig-0.12/>. Run
> Xautoconfig4, which will save the file /etc/X11/Xautoconfig-4. In
> this saved file, make the following changes:
>
> a. comment out 'Load "v4l"' in the Modules section.
> b. change "macintosh" to "macintosh_old" in the keyboard Input Device
> section.

Fixed.

> c. change "BusMouse" to "IMPS/2" in the Protocol section
> of the mouse InputDevice section.
> d. change "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/input/mice" in the Device section
> of the mouse InputDevice section.

Hmm. I know why this happened. Did X actually work with BusMouse and
/dev/mouse (pointing at adbmouse). Basically, Xautoconfig said you aren't
using the new input layer (which at least imho) is the new keycodes, not the
mouse bit.

> e. I have a Mouse Systems MacPointPro 3-button mouse so I commented
> out 'Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"'

Harmless. :)

> 5. Wait, you're not done. In /etc/sysctl.conf, make sure you have
> this line present:
> # Enables new keycodes on PPC
> dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 0

...This is turning _off_ the new keycodes. You should be keeping this at 1
and then re-running kbdconfig/mouseconfig from Halloween. You should then
have a working keymap/etc again (and Xautoconfig{3,4} should find and setup
your keyboard properly).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/