Re: XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]

Subject: Re: XF401 now working on 6500! [somewhat long]
From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 12:11:07 MST

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:57:50PM -0500, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> > > title:
> >> How-to, XFree86 4.0.1 on an ADB Mac (the 6500) [including input layer]
> >
> >Um. It looks like you're using the new mouse bit but not the keycodes. :)
>
> yes, see below.

Yes, the mouse bit is just a new driver, not the new input layer (as far as
I and Xautoconfig care :))

> result. Question: Is XF401 even looking at XF86Config when it starts?

Eventually. It checks /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before /etc/X11/XF86Config
(and /root/ or `pwd`/XF86Config-4 and XF86Config before that, I forget
which)

> How then would mouseconfig even be relevant any more? It's true that
> I wasn't too clear on this point when I wrote my post. I'm also sure
> I don't quite get this, please clarify?

Well, Xautoconfig tries to do it's job w/o asking for user input. So, it relies
on something else having already asked what kind of mouse you have, and what
kind of keyboard you have. So it reads /etc/sysconfig/mouse and keyboard
(and /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes) to try and figure
out whats going on with the machine.

> > > 4. Get and update to Xautoconfig-0.12-1 by Tom Rini, at
> >> <ftp://penguinppc.org/users/trini/Xautoconfig-0.12/>. Run
> >> Xautoconfig4, which will save the file /etc/X11/Xautoconfig-4. In
> >> this saved file, make the following changes:
> >>
> >> a. comment out 'Load "v4l"' in the Modules section.
> > > b. change "macintosh" to "macintosh_old" in the keyboard Input Device
> >> section.
> >
> >Fixed.
>
> in 0.13? Is v4l something that LinuxPPC users generally won't
> want/need anyway? And is "macintosh_old" really _generally_ correct
> in light of this whole keyboard mapping question? Or just for old ADB
> macs?

It's fixed in whatever is on the website +0.01 :) People may want v4l stuff
(if you have a tv card, and it happens to be working) because iirc, it offers
a slight speedup. macintosh_old is the correct setting for old-style ADB
keycodes.

> > > c. change "BusMouse" to "IMPS/2" in the Protocol section
> >> of the mouse InputDevice section.
> > > d. change "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/input/mice" in the Device section
> >> of the mouse InputDevice section.
> >
> >Hmm. I know why this happened. Did X actually work with BusMouse and
> >/dev/mouse (pointing at adbmouse).
>
> X started but the ADB mouse was dead until I changed it to IMPS/2
> -and- /dev/input/mice.

Um, odd. adbmouse is BusMouse, so that should have worked. input/mice is
imps/2 tho.

> Again another point of confusion for me: it
> appears that I have to configure everything as if I had a USB
> keyboard and mouse, even though there is no USB.

Well, sort of. With the new input layer, everything acts the same way. No more
is this adb or usb or ps2 or godknowswhat, it's always at least X or Y.

> This just to get the input layer for ADB compiled. Is that really correct?
> I've spent more than a few hours messing with this, and it seems to be the
> only way it will work.

I'll look at the config stuff in linuxppc_2_2, but the input layer isn't
dependant on USB, or shouldn't be anyways (It's not in 2.4)

> > Basically, Xautoconfig said you aren't
> >using the new input layer (which at least imho) is the new keycodes, not the
> >mouse bit.
> >

> snip
>
> > > 5. Wait, you're not done. In /etc/sysctl.conf, make sure you have
> >> this line present:
> >> # Enables new keycodes on PPC
> > > dev.mac_hid.keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 0
> >
> >...This is turning _off_ the new keycodes. You should be keeping this at 1
> >and then re-running kbdconfig/mouseconfig from Halloween. You should then
> >have a working keymap/etc again (and Xautoconfig{3,4} should find and setup
> >your keyboard properly).
>
> I can't do this. If I boot with keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes = 1, my
> console keyboard is messed up.

Yes, it is. Because things haven't been re-configured. The only easy way to
switch over fully is either:
a) telnet in, w/ new settings active, and change everything.
b) Boot with init=/bin/bash and keyboard_...=1, change settings, sync and
rebot.
d) Wait for YDL 2 which will hopefully upgrade things for you.

a and b are your best bet for a manual upgrade.

> And while I've got your attention, here's another question: what does
> the compile option ADB_RAW_KEYCODES (from memory, in the Mac Device
> Driver section of .config) have to do with the setting for
> keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes, if anything? Do these need to be
> paired?

adb_raw_keycodes is old style keycode support only.

> And to wrap it up, a dumb question: I never even knew there was a
> kbdconfig routine, I've never run it in my history of Linux. It this
> a stronger requirement now, in light of the keymap issues that people
> are having?

Well, everytime (And for PPC it's happened a few times now :( ) the keycode
and keymap stuff changes to try and make things saner int he long run, the
users kind of get stuck if they don't follow instructions that aren't always
around. :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/