Router configuration problems

Subject: Router configuration problems
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 14:41:41 MST

I've just had ADSL installed by BT. It terminates on a router so there's no
PPP involved - just DHCP (to get the address from the router). If I use an
iBook to get an address assigned I can ping the router from my linux box
using that address.

The problem is:

- how do I get the linux box to request an IP address from the ADSL router
(via eth0, eth1 is my home network) - I can't seem to get DHCP to work - a
tcpdump on eth0 suggests its trying bootp

- how do I set up the routing table once I have a connection. I want to use
the linux box as a server on 192.168.1.254 but route external traffic to
ADSL on 192.168.254.x

All suggestions gratefully received!

  Iain