Re: PM8500 NIC

Subject: Re: PM8500 NIC
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 20:20:31 MST

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS wrote:

> > It uses the MACE driver, which is built in to your kernel and not a module
> > at all.
> >
> > I suspect you're trying to use linuxconf, which I would not recommend.
> > If so, please run /usr/sbin/netconfig instead.
>
> I now have question about builtin drivers and modules. Last night I setup
> eth0 to use the tulip module (using linuxconf) and it had network access. My
> question is if the mace driver is built in will the kernel use that over the
> tulip module? I never have had nic drivers compiled into the kernel, I
> always recompile for nic modules on my intel boxes.

I can't really tell what your setup is, but the tulip driver will only
work with DEC-something cards (and not the onboard ethernet). However,
even if you were to have such a card, it would show up as eth1 because you
have the MACE driver compiled in and it finds MACE hardware.

I suspect while trying to use the tulip driver it failed, but you
accidentally discovered that eth0 was already working anyways.

-Hollis