Re: Xfree86 4.01 problem

Subject: Re: Xfree86 4.01 problem
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 19:55:21 MST

>I tried to install XFree86 4.01 this evening using Hollis' RPMs and Stefan's
>instructions (but not the kernel upgrade - yet). It seemed to go fairly
>well except:
>
>- the RPM for xdm may be broken - it says there's corruption when I try and
>load it

When you try to "load it" (runtime), or install it? Don't overlook
the possibility that it was corrupted on download.

>Stefan's intstructions state that Xautoconfig4 produces
>/etc/X11/Xautocofig-4 when it actually produces XF86Config-4. I feel
>sheepish pointing this out - Stefan's instructions are so good :-).

No problem. Besides, anyone that followed my subsequent discussion
with Tom Rini knows to take my instructions with a grain of salt. I
stand by them working, but there appear to be some likely instances
of 2 wrongs accidently making a right, which will burn you sooner or
later. Pending that silly holiday this Monday, I hope to rewrite them
based on newer install experiences. Stay tuned.

>I can't yet get X to start - I have a Rage Orion and the config file does
>not appear to be building correctly.

Error messages, please. Look in /var/log for the X message.

Stefan Jeglinski