Input Layers old and new

Subject: Input Layers old and new
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 17:52:07 MST

I've been trying to gain some understanding of some of the configuration
elements of X, the new input layer, the old input handlers, I'm still
running 2.2.17 with the old input handling.) their configuration files
and the various elements that interact to handle io in linux.

Anyway what I'd like to do is create or find a kind of map or diagram
that shows how the following elements interact:

o devices (mice, keyboards, monitors)
o hardware interfaces (usb, adb, serial)
o configuration file elements
o drivers
o the kernel
o the X server
o the X font Server

Are there any diagrams or tables of information available on the
net covering this kind of material? I've never seen this done
pictorially, and when I go looking for this kind of information, what I
find is kind of fragmentary. I'm sure its all there but finding all of
it and putting it together is a bit daunting.

If there's not already something out there, I'd like to create or find a
kind of map or diagram
that shows how the following elements interact:

o devices (mice, keyboards, monitors)
o hardware interfaces (usb, adb, serial)
o configuration file elements
o drivers
o the kernel
o the X server
o the X font Server

Do you know of any diagrams or tables of information available on the
net covering this kind of material? I've never seen this done
pictorially, and when I go looking for this kind of information, what I
find is kind of fragmentary. I'm sure its all there but finding all of
it and putting it together is a bit daunting.

If there's not already something out there, I'd like to create something

Here's what I have in mind, in text for the moment. Starting from what
I know: "I have a USB keyboard" and proceeding to what I don't know...

USB Keyboard -> Sends key "scan codes ?" to USB bus -> USB bus
communicates with what? a driver? which one? how does the USB know
what to communicate with for the different devices on the USB bus?

-Pat