iMac DV X server video problems

Subject: iMac DV X server video problems
From: Michael LeRoux (mleroux01@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 17:39:11 MST

My apologies if this has been covered ad nauseum in the mailing lists. I'm
currently rereading the archives to glean more clues from the posts.

I'm a Linux newbie and new owner of YDL. I installed it on my iMac DV (350)
without too much difficulty once I read some posts and realized I needed a
"root" line in yaboot.conf. My first task before even trying to configure a
printer or DSL was to get X up and running, and there I'm running into much
difficulty.

After using Xconfigurator I can't get the X server's video to appear
properly in any resolution. It appears that I'm restricted to the top left
quadrant of the GUI, every icon has lines through it, the icons appear in
more than one place and the entire screen flickers as I attempt to move the
mouse pointer around the screen.

None of the yaboot.conf tips I've found in mailing list posts such as
"append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17"" have helped. I discovered a tip on one
of Yellow Dog's support pages
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml) but it requires
installing a kernal which is well beyond my capabilities right now and the
ppclinux.apple.com website is down anyway.

I'm thinking there must be an easier way to do this... rebuilding a kernal
sounds like overkill to me. Does anybody have an idea on how to fix this
iMac X video problem?

For anyone that's interested, the relevant lines in my yaboot.conf file
are...

default = linux

image = hd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = linux
    root = /dev/hda9
    append = ""video=aty128fb:vmode:16,cmode:8"

...and I select Apple iMac Display and 640x480,800x600, and 1024x768 for all
three bit depths in Xconfigurator.

Thanks in advance.

Mike