Re: Expanding the /usr/* space...

Subject: Re: Expanding the /usr/* space...
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 22:49:59 MST

>4)I thought I remembered reading that the mac partition could be
>mounted in linux ... is this documented anywhere? How is this done?

#>cd /mnt
#>mkdir mac
#>mount -t hfs /dev/hda9 /mnt/mac

>and while I'm at it:
>5) It seems my /usr partition, defined at 500M, is 70% full with the
>standard installation, how do I add more space? I know this is
>pretty standard unix admin ... and I haven't investigated much yet.

You can move stuff into other partitions. For example, if you have an
unused partition (we'll call it hda14, and assume it's an ext2 type)
that you want to become the /usr/src subtree

Make a temporary mounting and copy the subtree

#>cd /mnt
#>mkdir src
#>mount -t hfs /dev/hda14 /mnt/src
#>cd /mnt/src
#>cp /usr/src/*
#>umount /dev/hda14

Then , after the backup is made:

#>cd /usr/src
#>rm -r *
#>cd /usr
#>mount -t hfs /dev/hda14 /usr/src

then edit your /etc/fstab to include
/dev/hda14 /usr/src ext2 rw 0 2
/dev/hda9 /mnt/mac hfs rw 0 2

You can split your file system up this way fairly easily. For
example, some people like to put /usr/src into a different partition
(one which gets hit with fsck seldom) and /usr/bin into yet another
which gets fsck'd often. Also, it you want, you can permanently add
certain partitions (as shown above on the second line of the
/etc/fstab addition) which have nothing to do with the linux ops.
However, if you still haven't done any add-on, you might simply want
to repartition, and add the additional filesystems during the install.

man pages to read:
#>man fstab
#>man mount

Merry Generic Winter Holiday(s) to all.

--
William F. Hostman  |  "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"