Re: Xfree86 4.01 problem

Subject: Re: Xfree86 4.01 problem
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 04:41:37 MST

on 23/12/00 2:55 am, Stefan Jeglinski at jeglin@4pi.com wrote:

>> I tried to install XFree86 4.01 this evening using Hollis' RPMs and Stefan's
>> instructions (but not the kernel upgrade - yet). It seemed to go fairly
>> well except:
>>
>> - the RPM for xdm may be broken - it says there's corruption when I try and
>> load it
>
> When you try to "load it" (runtime), or install it? Don't overlook
> the possibility that it was corrupted on download.

This wasn't the problem - you get error messages if the RPM install finds an
existing installation - so you really do have to clean out the old X
installation before loading Hollis' RPMSs (apologies to Hollis for
inaccurate finger pointing).

>> Stefan's intstructions state that Xautoconfig4 produces
>> /etc/X11/Xautocofig-4 when it actually produces XF86Config-4. I feel
>> sheepish pointing this out - Stefan's instructions are so good :-).
>
> No problem. Besides, anyone that followed my subsequent discussion
> with Tom Rini knows to take my instructions with a grain of salt. I
> stand by them working, but there appear to be some likely instances
> of 2 wrongs accidently making a right, which will burn you sooner or
> later. Pending that silly holiday this Monday, I hope to rewrite them
> based on newer install experiences. Stay tuned.

I've got quite a bit more feedback on installing XF4.01 and the 2.2.18
kernel on my 9600 - I'll post it separately,

  Iain