network trouble for a newbie

Subject: network trouble for a newbie
michaelbaker@operamail.com
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 14:50:19 MST

YDL 1.2.1 is installed on a SCSI drive in my single 400Mhz G4. The mac
system is intact on the factory IDE drive and yaboot works just fine. But I
must 'ifconfig eth0 down' to terminate an incessant 'eth0: media is TP'
error. no network services are available and the ethernet hub shows no
indication of an active connection. I've reinstalled many times and checked
cables etc. without any change in this problem. The build date for the G4
is october 1999 with the 'sawtooth' motherboard. do I have an unsupported
ethernet card?? how can I probe it (or attempt to probe it), etc??

thanks (special thanks to Michael Messano for his reply to my last inquiry)
m baker