Re: [OT] OSX (was Re: MacOS 9.1 to X.1 Upgrade ¿dangerous?. )

Subject: Re: [OT] OSX (was Re: MacOS 9.1 to X.1 Upgrade ¿dangerous?. )
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 03:26:20 MST

Well said, Tim. I had a message postponed which said much the same things
with more words, so I can kill that message, and happily. As far as
getting back to topic and "moving on" -- well, jeez, my message was marked
OT for a reason.

I didn't intend to hijack the legit discussion on the list at all, I just
wanted to put in my two cents after having voiced some harsh criticisms of
the initial builds of OS X, and experiencing the drastic improvements it's
undergone. I think there's a bright, bright future ahead for both PPC
Linux and OS X, and I hope the focus on both development fronts includes
tighter integration of the two. I know many folks on this list use or are
considering the use of both systems, and I felt that my perspective might
be helpful. I like the Linux architecture far better than Darwin, but the
increasingly great proprietary Apple stuff comes very close to making up
the difference as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, Tim, I am also not a huge fan of the KDE model, and I agree that
it is a mistake to consider it an exemplar of quality interface design or
usability. I hope Aqua can set the same higher standard for the next
generation of UNIX/Linux GUIs to meet that NeXTStep and Solaris provided
for the last.

All for now,
- n2