Re: OSX vs. YDL

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 20:16:40 MST

Over the summer when I first got my iceBook, I tried to figure out
the OS X system interfaces so that I could port things, but I could
never find the source code that generated the 10.0.4 environment
on the iceBook. I gave up and haven't had time to try again.

I installed YDL 2.1 on my 500 MHz iceBook on November 13. Prior
to that, I had used only MacOS and OS X. Since then, I've been
using mostly Linux.

You lose a lot of function when you go from OS X to Linux on Mac
platforms. However, I know my way around Linux. I've been able
to configure a familiar virtual desktop window manager (Sawfish)
to match my usual UNIX environment. I've got my familiar Linux
CD-R tools, where the OS X CD burner didn't give me the level of
control I needed (e.g., for burning audio CD's disk-at-once).
Also, Linux + X11 feels quite noticeably quicker, probably because
it's not hauling around Quartz and Aqua.

It appears to me that the *technical* OS X and PPC Linux communities
are both significantly smaller than the x86 Linux crowd, and as a
result, it's harder to get help for either one when you need it.

The piece I'd really like to get working is Mac-on-Linux. Then I
could use M$ Office under Linux and lose the x86 notebook.

Romain