Re: OSX vs. YDL

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL
dreamaaster@yahoo.com
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 20:34:44 MST

What kind of work would "the job" be?

I can agree that YDL has crashed on me many times in X (That's X11). But
Mac OS X is a major pain. I just came out of OS X an hour ago after
months away because I wanted to set-up my wife's email access with the
new Netscape for OS X or Mail, or something easy, fast, and stable (Ha!
Ha! Ha!). I tried stress-testing some programs but It was horrible to
the point that I can't do it again for another six months or so. I feel
bad that I have to subject her to that environment. My head hurts.

I do like the BSDs a lot--they are clean and simple by comparison. But
as much as I'm dying to migrate to a BSD as my primary system, Linux on
PPC runs more completely and faster than BSD on PPC right now, from what
I can tell. And I'm tired of relying on a vendor-supplied OSes like
Darwin anyhow, since there are user-designed, user-defined operating
systems with really free licenses, really open code, really open tools,
and really open everything.

--

John Norair wrote: > > In my experience OS X is more stable than YDL, even when I really booger > around with it. I'm working on a project right now that involves darwin > UNIX rather than YDL (or a Unix like BSD) because you can't beat the > support darwin has for the mac platform. > > In my opinion, 99 times out of 100 Mac OS X, in some form or another, > will get the job done faster and better than will YDL. Of course, > there's still that 1 out of 100 where it's nice to have Linux. > > Have a nice day, > John Norair