RE: OSX vs. YDL

Subject: RE: OSX vs. YDL
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 01:01:12 MST

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, John Norair wrote:
>In my experience OS X is more stable than YDL, even when I really booger
>around with it. I'm working on a project right now that involves darwin
>UNIX rather than YDL (or a Unix like BSD) because you can't beat the
>support darwin has for the mac platform.

 First off, Darwin is *not* a UNIX, it is 'UNIX based'. To be come a true
'UNIX' Apple would have to submit Darwin to standards compliancy tests and
pay a fee. Neither are likley to fly. This statement 'because you can't
beat the support darwin has for the mac platform' doesn't make any sense.
Linux runs on *more* Apple hardware than Darwin does, and on the hardware
that they both run on, Linux runs faster.

>In my opinion, 99 times out of 100 Mac OS X, in some form or another,
>will get the job done faster and better than will YDL. Of course,
>there's still that 1 out of 100 where it's nice to have Linux.

 Do you work for Apple or something or do you simply believe everything
that comes out of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field?

 In my office, we have about 10 G4s, 4 iMacs and a couple of G3s. 7 of the
G4s are running Linux, and the rest of the machines are running OS X. The
performance of OS X is so bad/unstable/unpredictable that if it weren't
for the fact that we need to run FileMaker until at least January, we
would probably be considering switching to Linux on all of the machines.

 Try getting NFS to work in a predictable fashion in OS X. It doesn't.
Machines that were plenty fast in OS 9.1 run like molasses in winter in OS
X. At this point, the only thing that the OS X machines have over the
Linux boxen, is Firewire support and better font rendering. Everything
else makes me very glad that my machines aren't running X.

 After a week of migrating all of our machines that were running 9.1 to X,
I'm reminded why my NeXT machine at home is collecting dust and I'm
looking for a Linux distro for my 6100.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017