RE: Compiling Software

Subject: RE: Compiling Software
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 05:41:55 MST

On Saturday 01 December 2001 02:31, you wrote:
> Just installed a bunch of packages so that I can complie this software. I
> installed cpp,binutils,gcc,make,and automake. Here's the error I get. Am I
> missing somthing?

<snip>

> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
I've seen that one before.

You might want to take a look at the .configure script to see exactly why it
is reporting that the c compiler cannot create executables.

Just search for the error message in the script, and see what causes it to
appear. Sometimes the answer to the problem will be obvious from reading
the .configure script. Other times you'll have to puzzle it out.

You might want to reply back to this message with what you find in the
.configure script. I'd do this even if I found the answer.

-Pat

"Its always nice to leave a trail of breadcrumbs for others to follow."
        - Hansel