Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...

Subject: Re: CDROM: Now U see it, now U don't...
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 14:29:09 MST

Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Patrick Ladam wrote:
> >You miss-interpreted my humour (does humour belong in UNIX?), I
>
> humor and unix do not mix, or is that humor and eunuchs...

That was a private joke for Frank Zappa fans actually (he had a record entitled
'does humour belong in Music...).

> >try to count the time you spend as root and as a regular user on your
> >Linux box (be honest). Linux is not MacOS you have to put your hands
> >under the hood frequently no?
>
> On my desktop machine, I almost *never* log in as root, certainly not in
> X. sudo is my friend for most things (man sudo).
>
> On my servers, I do spend a lot of time (percentage wise) as root, but
> that's because the only time I log in is to make system
> changes/diagnostics, and those times are pretty rare. Even then, I'll
> often log in as a user, and su only if something is acting funny or I want
> to view /var/log/messages.
>
> I guess what it comes down to, is that I don't trust anyone as a user on
> my machines, including myself. mod_paranoid is also my friend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

You are right Chris anyway, running as root is risky, the thing is this is my
personal
machine and I am the only user, I would sure not do that if I had to share it...

Cheers ('Sante' in French)

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<<             |                               |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |