Re: OSX vs. YDL

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL
From: John Norair (jnorair@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 16:29:16 MST

Thanks for the kind email. I have used both extensively, and Linux is
just not good for 99% of the stuff I do. It needs constant maintenance,
and often that involves me rooting around the root level directories
adjusting files here and there. The fact that enabling DHCP requires a
"HOW-TO" embodies my point. I don't use computers to fiddle around, but
I use them as tools, and Linux just has a hard time being a robust,
low-maintenance tool. When I have a specific objective that Linux does
well, (or has some gnu software or whatnot that is perfect) I'm happy to
use it, but I don't think I could possibly rely on Linux alone.

My argument for Aqua: when you program a lot, the smoothness of the Aqua
interface reduces stress on the eyes and head ten fold. It is kind of
slow, but my head likes it anyway.

Lastly, I thought I remember hearing that Darwin was submitted and was
declared to be a UNIX. Maybe I'm dreaming, but Linux isn't a UNIX
either, and that doesn't seem to prevent it from doing most of the
things a true UNIX can.

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 11:12 , yellowdog-general-digest-
help@lists.yellowdoglinux.com wrote:

> Do you work for Apple or something or do you simply believe everything
> that comes out of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field?

Cheers,
John Norair