Re: ettercap anyone?

Subject: Re: ettercap anyone?
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 17:11:45 MST

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Reid Anderson wrote:

> Has anyone used ettercap before? It is a packet sniffer that I am
> trying to use to prove to our silly College Email Admins that we need
> to use secure email passwords and that our web based email system is
> highly unsecure. I am trying to packet sniff my own machine first
> (it's a little more legal that way) and then I might just get the
> email admins password and send her a message from herself! Anyway, If
> anyone has used ettercap (or any other packet sniffer that might run
> under OS X), could you please tell me a little more about using it
> other than what it has in ettercap --help. I have been able to view
> thge html code being viewed by many people, but only within my own
> subnet 150.209.130.x but I would like to be able to see outside my
> subnet to the general domain 150.209.x.x. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!

You are probably on a switched network, and can't sniff any traffic not on
your ethernet domain.

But as others have mentioned, this is a good way to get in trouble. If
they've already said they don't care about security, you'll just make
enemies if you show them they are wrong in public.

If you have friends in the computing department, you might get them to
carry your case. If not, you might be better off showing them resources
demonstrating the importance of security. Sniffing the network is likely
forbidden by network-use rules on campus.

Good luck.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net