Re: OSX vs. YDL

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL
From: George Mogiljansky (mogiljan@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 18:21:49 MST

Hi Chris and John,
1. Apple has always (?) been using different
components and sometimes without changing model
numbers and/or
designations. Case in point: over at m68k (potato,
debian, woody and other MacLinux version support), the
wizards have been grappling a long time with a
particular mask version of the LC040 CPU from
Motorola. Seems the factory
made a huge batch of these with a defective FPU
emulation and Apple snapped them up for a song, built
around the defect (ROM engineering, I'm guessing) and
supported them through OS 8.1.
2. Apple refuses to support A/UX, but that was/is a
fully workable Unix OS for full 040 chips on certain
mobs.
3. Steve Jobs tried to hire Linus Torvalds last
spring, I believe (heard and saw the interview with
him on Charlie Rose). And I hear that OS X is but 30%
ready for big time - with Photoshop for OSX maybe out
next year.
4. If anybody has a free copy of OSX update CD in the
Montreal area, please let me know. Or, I will purchase
a copy of the YD 2.1 CD.
Cheers
George

--- Christopher Murtagh
<christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, John Norair wrote:
> > I have used both extensively, and Linux is just
> not good for 99% of the
> >stuff I do. It needs constant maintenance, and
> often that involves me
> >rooting around the root level directories adjusting
> files here and
> >there.
>
> Well, I don't know what you are doing with your
> machine, but I have a G4
> running YDL 2.1 as my desktop machine, and I have
> hardly done anything to
> it after the install. It's embarassing how little I
> have done other than
> the standard install. So, no, linux doesn't need
> constant maintenance.
>
> > I don't use computers to fiddle around, but I use
> them as tools, and
> >Linux just has a hard time being a robust,
> low-maintenance tool.
>
> Again, completely false, see above.
>
> > When I have a specific objective that Linux does
> well, (or has some gnu
> >software or whatnot that is perfect) I'm happy to
> use it, but I don't
> >think I could possibly rely on Linux alone.
>
> Ok, that is understandable, but this is hardly the
> same as what you had
> stated in your earlier email. No one said Linux was
> a perfect OS.
> Personally I can get about 99% of what I need to do
> with it, but I still
> run MacOS 9.1 at home for my digital audio software
> (Digital Performer
> mostly).
>
> >Lastly, I thought I remember hearing that Darwin
> was submitted and was
> >declared to be a UNIX. Maybe I'm dreaming, but
> Linux isn't a UNIX
> >either, and that doesn't seem to prevent it from
> doing most of the
> >things a true UNIX can.
>
> I never said that Linux was a UNIX, and no neither
> is Darwin. I was
> simply correcting your false statement.
>
> Anyway your posts seem to be coming from the point
> of view of a
> frustrated newbie. There is nothing wrong with being
> frustrated, or being
> a newbie. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we've all
> been there, but don't
> come to a linux list with bogus statements like '99
> times out of 100 Mac
> OS X, in some form or another, will get the job done
> faster and better
> than will YDL.' It certainly won't make you many
> friends, save it for the
> Mac zealot lists or for your job interview at Apple.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> --
>
> Christopher Murtagh
> Webmaster / Sysadmin
> Web Communications Group
> McGill University
> Montreal, Quebec
> Canada
>
> Tel.: (514) 398-3122
> Fax: (514) 398-2017

=====
/'\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email
 X No Word docs in email
/ \ Respect for open standards

Love your neighbour as yourself. (from Luke 10:27)