Re: OSX vs. YDL - new

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL - new
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 18:44:02 MST

Mark,

>Hi all,
>As you may have read from my previous posts, I am a newbie when it comes
>to Linux, having only used Red Hat Linux on a PC Notebook. I would like
>to know, just out of interest, why would anyone install Linux (eg. YDL)
>on a G4 machine when they can install OSX? I would have thought that if
>my Mac was able to run OSX, then I would not install YDL at all, since
>OSX is based on UNIX. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
>
>Many thanks again,

Good question.
I have been doing RedHat Linux since 1992 - and YDL is very much like
RH. The installer, of course is different, but once you got it up and
running, is't basically the same. Most applications which will work
under RH, will also work (compile) under YDL. I can not say the same
for MacOS X though. There are a few programs, I'd like to have
working under OS X, which I just can not get to do what I want. They
are mainly GUI programs, like ABI Word or Gnumeric. Of course, I can
run ABI Word when I start XDarwin or something like that, but that's
not what I want - I would have to run a different desktop environment
for both of them, and that's just not a practical solution.

On the other hand, there are a lot of Mac programs, I don't want to
miss in my daily life, like Eudora, BBEdit, StuffIt and many more -
so I want to stick to OS X. A while back, I got PHP, apache and
PostGreSQL compiled, so I have the tools I mainly use under Linux now
running the way I want them to under OS X.

The decision is really yours to make, which OS you want to run. I see
no point, running YDL on a machine, I can run OS X on, since I can
get a new PC much cheaper than a new Mac, and I can run RH Linux
there just as well, probably with a lot less compatibility problems
(video cards, etc.). I would run YDL on an old Mac which I can not
get OS X to work, like my old 9600.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre