Re: OSX vs. YDL - new

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL - new
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 18:58:28 MST

At 19:46 -0500 12/03/2001, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> Honestly, after seeing both of them, my thoughts are now the exact
>opposite. OS X is really not a very mature OS and is in serious need of
>some optimization. Aqua is much slower (although a bit prettier) than X
>windows, and I find it much easier to install all the software I need on a
>linux machine than OS X.
>
> Having said that, it really depends on what you need to use your machine
>for. If you *need* M$ Office, then OS X is likely the way to go. If not,
>then it really depends on if you want to learn a new way of doing things.
>In reality, learning OS X isn't much more difficult than Linux for an
>average newbie, just different.
>
> After having 'upgraded' our office to OS X from 9.2.1, I'm really glad
>that my desktop is running Linux and I don't have the same problems my
>co-workers are with their machines. My iBook is dual booted to Linux/MacOS
>9.2.1 and I only use MacOS when I want to play DVDs at home, otherwise I
>use Linux.

Chris,

I installed OS X 10.1 on my Pismo, and I didn't really have any
issues with it. All the software I want to run, runs just fine, a lot
more stable than it ever did under 9.x. I recently moved up to a
TiBook/667 and the Pismo got passed on to my wife - and she hasn't
shut down the machine for over 10 days in a row now. Before, on a
PowerBook 1400cs running 9.1, shutdowns had to be done at least once
a day, because one or other program froze the machine.
I do not run 9.x on the TiBook or the Pismo any more, not even in
classic mode. I went out and bought AppleWorks to replace Office, at
about 1/7th of the price of Office and yes, there are some problems
with it, but they can be overcome (saving a word processor document
in MS Word [any version] crashes AppleWorks every time). There was a
site somewhere, where they were selling ABI Word compiled for OS X
but I lost the URL. I believe, it was running natively under Aqua.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre