Re: ettercap anyone?

Subject: Re: ettercap anyone?
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 00:27:28 MST

Bo Brinkman wrote:

> While I sympathize with your predicament, I would advise you not to do
> this. We have had at least 2 cases at my University where similar forms
> of well-meaning behavior have resulted in prolonged and very painful
> disciplinary action against the student.

The best idea in this case is to bypass the techies (who you have said
are not interested in fixing the security breach) and go direct to
university management - not computer management - and complain to them.

Explain the security dangers you are facing, and explain that you have
received no joy from the techies you have spoken to. The techies are
very likely following a Work Avoidance Policy, or a We Don't Want To
Admit We Don't Know How To Secure It policy, and are thus unlikely to be
of any help anyway. When university management find out there is a
problem, you are more likely to get a response and a proper solution.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street