Re: Telnet server and FTP server setup

Subject: Re: Telnet server and FTP server setup
From: Tim Moloney (moloney@mrsl.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 05:30:55 MST

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 8:22 PM, Zeke Runyon wrote

> On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 07:45 PM, Tim Moloney wrote:
>
> > Without knowing how you have your network configured, I don't
> > think that I can help you with the IP address issue. However,
> > if you don't have name service (DNS) for the computers behind
> > your router, you'll probably have to enter your computer name
> > and IP address in /etc/hosts.
> >
> > The telnet-server program (/usr/sbin/in.telnetd) is in the
> > telnet-server RPM. =)
>
> So in the /etc/hosts file I would point my Roadrunner IP address to
> localhost or 127.0.0.0? How should I edit it?

Neither. The line "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost" should
already be in /etc/hosts and your Linux box doesn't care about the
Roadrunner IP address since its the outside address of your router.

/etc/hosts is just a text file so use your favorite editor to add
"w.x.y.z your.computer.name" where w.x.y.z is the IP address of
your Linux box, not the Roadrunner address assigned to your router.
your.computer.name is whatever you want to call your computer.

I'm not sure how it would work connection from outside your router
but this should allow you to connect from any computer behind your
router.

> When I telnet to the machine, it gets a connection, then says
> "Connection closed by foreign host."

It sounds like in.telnetd may have crashed. Check /var/log/messages
for any error messages.

> When I execute in.telnetd, it says
> "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket".
> What is going on???

I don't think you can manually start the telnet server. I believe
that it was written to be started by the super-server (inetd or xinetd)
so it expects a socket connection where stdin and stdout would be.

> -a confused linux user
>
> I'd also like to add that when I am FTPing and Telneting to my linux
> box, I am doing it within my LAN, typing 192.168.1.4 to access the
> machine. I am not going outside the network or dealing with any
> Roadrunner ISP addresses yet.
>
> Should I edit my /etc/hosts file to the local IP?

Yes. If 192.168.1.4 is the IP address of your Linux box. To verify
the IP address, check the value that appears next to "inet addr" in
the output of "ifconfig eth0".

> # Zeke Runyon | zrunyon@mac.com | zekeworld.home.dhs.org
> # blog: communistsquirrel.home.dhs.org
> # Mac OS X 10.1.1 5M28 | OS 9.2.1 | Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
> # Communist squirrels shall rule the world.

Tim Moloney
ManTech Real-time Systems Laboratory
2015 Cattlemen Road \ /
Sarasota, FL 34232 .________\(O)/________.