Re: YDL2.1 && OS X

Subject: Re: YDL2.1 && OS X
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 19:10:29 MST

At 3:37 PM -0800 12/4/01, dreamaaster@yahoo.com wrote:
>OS X has to be within the first 8 GB of the hard drive.

Wrong. That applies only to Old World Macs such as the Beige G3 or
iMac rev A-D. New World Macs like Joerg's Cube can have OS X
anywhere on the drive.

Joerg:

>Joerg Fritsch wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Cube with three partitions:::
>> YDL 2.1
>> OS 9.n
>> empty
>>
>> is it possible to install OS X on the emptz partition without
>>damaging my YDL
>> or OS9 ??? Is there anzthing special I need to pay attention to ??

You will need to make your empty partition into a HFS or HFS+
partition before running the OS X installer. If it is not already
one, you can make it one by the following procedure:

First, in Linux, use pdisk to delete the empty partition and recreate
it with the right type for a HFS/HFS+ partition. Do this by using
the uppercase "C" command when creating the partition, then giving
"Apple_HFS" as the type and whatever you want as the name.

Next, boot to MacOS 9. If it asks you whether you want to format the
partition because it has no recognizable filesystem, tell it yes.

Now you're ready to do the install. Boot off the OS X CD. When you
select the partition you're going to install on, be sure to click the
checkbox that says "reformat partition as HFS+", just to make sure
you get the volume structure set up ideally for OS X.

Once OS X is installed you will no longer see the Linux boot menu,
because OS X reconfigures Open Firmware to boot itself. This is
easily solved: restart the computer and hold option until the Open
Firmware boot device chooser comes up. Select the Linux partition
(it should be obvious what is what) and you should end up in Linux
again. Edit /etc/yaboot.conf and make sure everything is set up
correctly (including the stuff which sets up boot menu entries for OS
X and OS 9, consult the yaboot.conf man page for more info). Once
you're sure yaboot.conf is correct, run ybin to reinstall the
bootloader and set up the OF boot variable.

You should now be able to triple boot YDL, OS9, and OS X, using a
handy boot menu to choose between them.

--
Tim Seufert