New iBook/DVD unable to install

Subject: New iBook/DVD unable to install
From: Benjamin Reed (ranger@befunk.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 07:11:42 MST

I got an iBook with a DVD-ROM (just came in yesterday) and it
is unable to install YDL, I was hoping someone could clue me in
to a way around this...

Right now, when I run the install, it boots, asks me about my
language and mouse and keyboard settings and such; when it gets
to install media, the only choice is CD/DVD. When I choose it,
I end up with a dialog that says:

  The installer was unable to mount the CD/DVD.

This is my first time with Linux on mac, so it may be some other
issue, but with RedHat, I would hit ALT-F3 and ALT-F4 to see the
debug info and maybe figure out what's going wrong, but here I
seem to be unable to do that... Is there any way to get to the
debug info that is (presumably) on the other virtual console?

Also, the yaboot on the CD has an "hd-install" option, so I
thought I'd give that a try. I tried copying the CD contents to
a folder on my MacOS 9 volume (HFS, not HFS+) and then picking
hd-install, but it can't find the root partition. How would I
go about figuring out what it is? Is the hd-install method
working but not supported? Or is it not set up to work...?

I have a couple of leads, but no way to get to them... I would
appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

TIA,

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger@befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/