Re: New iBook/DVD unable to install

Subject: Re: New iBook/DVD unable to install
From: badpenguin (badpenguin@ie-commerce.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 07:48:39 MST

> I got an iBook with a DVD-ROM (just came in yesterday) and it
> is unable to install YDL, I was hoping someone could clue me in
> to a way around this...

I had the same problem with a Ti PowerBook

When the disc boots up at the boot prompt hit the tab key.

You are given a selection of install kernels, use an old install-kernel22
somethin like that and then the disc will be recognised at the media stage.

I think it is a problem with the standard install kernel.

> Right now, when I run the install, it boots, asks me about my
> language and mouse and keyboard settings and such; when it gets
> to install media, the only choice is CD/DVD. When I choose it,
> I end up with a dialog that says:
>
> The installer was unable to mount the CD/DVD.
>
> This is my first time with Linux on mac, so it may be some other
> issue, but with RedHat, I would hit ALT-F3 and ALT-F4 to see the
> debug info and maybe figure out what's going wrong, but here I
> seem to be unable to do that... Is there any way to get to the
> debug info that is (presumably) on the other virtual console?
>
> Also, the yaboot on the CD has an "hd-install" option, so I
> thought I'd give that a try. I tried copying the CD contents to
> a folder on my MacOS 9 volume (HFS, not HFS+) and then picking
> hd-install, but it can't find the root partition. How would I
> go about figuring out what it is? Is the hd-install method
> working but not supported? Or is it not set up to work...?

I'd try the other kernel installs first before going down that route.

Chris Bragg

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/