Umax clone w/ kernel > 2.4.4

Subject: Umax clone w/ kernel > 2.4.4
From: Robert Serphillips (rserphillips@austin.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 12:20:57 MST

This isn't nessesarily a YDL question but is there anyone out there running a Umax J700 or any Umax clone for that matter that is able to run any kernel greater than 2.4.4. I ask because I determined almost all of the problems (and lack of functionality) with my machine is related to using an older kernel. Any kernel that I've tried (2.4.6,2.4.8,2.4.10, ect) always hangs during boot with some text followed by arch:exit. There have been other reports on a S900,C500, etc of the same thing. I've tried compiling it, using pre-compiled binaries, and using all sorts of bootx args with no luck. So if there's anyone out there who's running a umax clone with a recent kernel please let me know.

spec sheet
Umax J700
368 MB ram
ATI Rage Orion
Sony 17" 200ES
XLR8 Carrier Ziff G4 450
Yamaha 8424 cdrw
Matsu-something 8x cdrom
IBM 10k 9gig HD
Seagate 10K 4.5 gig HD
Zip 100 ext

Just for completness
All perfs supported and functional w/ 2.4.4 kernel