G3 B&W, NewerTech G4, 2 HDs, YDL 2.1: Boot Configuration?

Subject: G3 B&W, NewerTech G4, 2 HDs, YDL 2.1: Boot Configuration?
From: Bob Beaton (bob@keyengine.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 17:49:17 MST

Hi,

I'm stuck with a problem I can't solve from reading the previous threads on
multiple boot configurations for YDL 2.1. Maybe someone can give me a real
simple procedure.

I've got a G3 B&W with a NewerTech G4 upgrade and two internal hard disks.
One disk (/dev/sda5) is home to MacOS. The second disk (/dev/sdb11) is home
to YDL 2.1--it also has partitions for boot (/dev/sdb6) and several swaps
(/dev/sdb7-10).

How do I setup yaboot to initialize the NewerTech G4 card (by loading an
extension on the MacOS disk) and then present the OS boot selection menu (or
default boot into the YDL disk)?

The solution to this problem "seems" straightforward if I was using BootX or
Apple MkLinux Booter, since the bootstrap would originate from a MacOS
extension. However, I'm just not clear what yaboot is doing. Please help.

Many thanks,
Bob