Re: Problems after OS X upgrade...

Subject: Re: Problems after OS X upgrade...
From: Heather Donahue (heatherd@sonic.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:13:18 MST

At 2:28 PM -0700 on 12/10/01, Nick (Spunky Cadaver) wrote:

>>On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Jim Lambert wrote:
>>>I can't boot YD Linux. I'm not given the opportunity to select Linux
>>>during boot up, because I never see yaboot during startup.
>>

>> Boot with the option key pressed. You should then see a couple of HDs (at
>>least two) with icons for each OS. Select the penguin, and boot into
>>linux.
>>
>> Once you are in Linux, as user root, run ybin. This will reset your PRAM
>>so that the boot device is the linux bootloader partition.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Chris
>>

>AhHHH holding option DOES support linux boots? cool I always wondered about that but I cant install YDL on my cube yet (Radeon ADC and Apple ADC monitor). My lombard doesnt work holding option to select a boot drive *shrug* I just boot into openfirmware (command opt O F) and do a setenv bootdevice=hd:<boot loader partition number here>,\\ofboot.b

I have YDL 2.0 installed (along with MacOS 10.1.1 and 9.2) on my Pismo laptop. I made the mistake of opening the startup disk control panel from within 9.2 and it wouldn't boot into the triple boot menu.

Holding the option key brought up the HD options but selecting the YDL partition only gave me a black screen.

Doing setenv bootdevice=hd:10,\\ofboot.b gave me the same screen but I found that entering setenv bootdevice=hd:10,\\yaboot brought me directly to my Linux bootup. From there I ran ybin and it's working fine now.

--
Heather Donahue