Re: Installer hangs while partitioning...

Subject: Re: Installer hangs while partitioning...
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 01:56:43 MST

>All,
>
>I'm installing the 2.1 retail CD set and get to the point where I have to
>partition
>my disk. First, I have a bunch of HFS partitions that I didn't expect
>(Macintosh
>Patches, Macintosh...), so I figure probably best not to mess with something
>I don't understand.
>
>I add partitions by taking them from the "free" space of my disk, and add a
>10 meg
>boot partition and 128 meg swap partition successfully. But when I add a
>partition
>(again derived from the 1.3 gig free space) and specify a Linux partition
>using MAX
>space... the selection box disappears, leaving me with a blue screen
>(appropriate)
>but seems to have stopped there.
>
>It's been four hours now and the installer is still unresponsive. It
>doesn't take
>that much time just to define a partition, so something has apparently gone
>wrong.
>
>I'm running on a Mac 8500 with a 1 gigabyte Mac disk and a 1.3 gigabyte
>external disk, so I'm using the BootX method. I know this is an anemic
>machine, but it should still work (I haven't even gotten to the point where
>I install packages).
>
>Any ideas on what the problem is?
>
>-- John

Hi John,
        You didn't specify if your machine has only 32MB. I tried an
install of both YDL & Linux PPC previously & they both sat there for a
looooong time seemingly doing nothing. 64MB seems to be a minimum for Linux
on PPC from my very limited experience.
        Of course if you have more than 32MB, forget everything I just said.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au