Re: virtual server access log files

Subject: Re: virtual server access log files
From: Matt Larson (ml582@columbia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 08:37:46 MST

Brian Foster wrote:

>I've successfully set up three virtual servers. But I've noticed that Linux
>performs administrative duties by automatically making new 'access_log'
>files on its own such as 'access_log.1', 'access_log.2' and so on. However
>the virtual server log files do not generate new files; they just keep
>getting bigger and bigger and I manually have to empty the files. Is there a
>setting some where to automate the generation and backup of virtual server
>files?
>
>Thanks for any help!

Assuming that your Apache is set up to put logs for the virual servers
in their own directories or something like that, you need to use the
logrotate program. I have not done this on YDL, but I'm assuming it's
there. It's very easy to use. On a Mandrake system I administer you
just add a file in the directory /etc/logrotate.d. This (usually called
httpd) is probably automatically set up for a normal server, as you
said. For your virtual servers just add something like this:

"/home/virtualserver1/logs/access_log" {
        rotate 5
        monthly
        create
        compress
        postrotate
                sbin/killall -HUP httpd
        endscript
}

"/home/virtualserver2/logs/access_log" {
        rotate 5
        monthly
        create
        compress
        postrotate
                sbin/killall -HUP httpd
        endscript
}

Read the manpage for logrotate; on the Mandrake system it covers most
things you could want to know about using it.

Good luck.

Matt Larson