Problems installing YDL 2.1

Subject: Problems installing YDL 2.1
From: David Wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:26:57 MST

It seems that the installation went ok, i don't get any error messages (now)
and at the end it states that i had a successful installation. The problem
happens upon rebooting when i boot into Linux.
 After several screens of text (i choose the text login) it finally ends up
on a screen that states that there is no /dev/hdb17 (which shoud be my swap
partition) or /dev/hdb18 (which should be my root) and that i have been
dropped into a shell to correct this problem. It also states that i can hit
ctrl d to log in normally but that does not actually work. Unfortunetly i do
not know enough commands or what is going on to actually fix this problem
from the command line and since i cannot actually log into linux i have to
quit and reboot into macos.

I don't know if part of the problem is that i would like so many partitions
on the Seagate Barracuda (i'm installing onto a second drive with no macos
on it). I would actually like 8 partitions for various reasons and varying
work situations. I have had 8 partitions fine for writing to but now i'm
wondering if this is a possible problem for installation. (can i have 8
partitions then an additional 4 or 5 within the linux partition? or is 8,
[well plus the first 8 Mac patch partitions automatically created] the Max?)

I would like to add linux to this scheme. (scheme already works without
linux - but everything is backed-up so i can totally repartition if not):

1. 850 MB Mac OS back-up System Folder
2. 850 CDR Burner
3. 3 GB Linux (then this sub partitioned for boot - swap - root - home -
usr)
4 1 GB text files only in progress(small files)
5. 15 GB Multimedia in progress (big files)
6. 15 GB Stored final work only (all work completed no writing to this
partition)
7. 1 GB Internet downloads
8. 750 MB cache

Since i can only set Linux space as "unallocated" (in Apple Drive set-up so
it will be read correctly for YDL) it serves up one block.
so now the paths become:
/dev/hdb9 is back-up Mac system folder
/dev/hdb10 CDR burner center
/dev/hdb11 Linux
/dev/hdb12 text files work
/dev/hdb13 multimedia
/dev/hdb14 stored work
/dev/hdb15 internet downloads
/dev/hdb16 cache

so when i go to YDL to make my Linux partitions it shows the hdb's above.
and automatically makes swap dev/hdb17, root dev/hdb18 etc, (and not swap
dev/hdb12 and root /dev/hdb13 which is what i would prefer and think should
be done) It doesn't seem good that swap and root arr at the outskirts of the
disk. Is this why they are not being created in the first place?

Any help or feedback anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you in advance

-david