Re: now / does not exist.

Subject: Re: now / does not exist.
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 14:35:28 MST

David Wright wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, David Wright wrote:
>

>>40 GB Seagate Barracuda already partitioned (8 partitions) for writing to
>>and Linux (linux formatted: 20 MB boot (HFS) 128 MB swap (Linux swap) 2000
>>MB Root (Linux partition) home 500 MB (Linux)
>>

> This is your problem. You really need to let the OS partitioner make its
> own partitions. Use Drive Setup for Mac partitions and parted or the YDL
> installer for making linux partitions. Specficly the YDL installer needs
> to create the ybin boot partition becasue Nothing else out there will set
> it to the type ybin needs.
>
> Wipe all the parttitions on the 'cuda (eg: they should be listed as "Free
> Space") you want to use for linux and use the installer partition editor
> to remake them.
>
> -n
>

> nathan,
>
> Thanks for your help i did what you suggested. YDL made the proper ybin
> partition. Now the problem is when i choose to boot to linux at the yaboot
> prompt. After several screens of text (i choose the text login) it finally
> ends up on a screen that states that there is no /dev/hdb17 (which shoud be
> my swap partition) or /dev/hdb18 (which should be my root) and that i have
> been dropped into a shell to correct this problem. It also states that i can
> hit ctrl d to log in normally but that does not actually work (of course how
> could i log in to a non-existant root) . Unfortunetly i do not know enough
> commands or what is going on to actually fix this problem from the command
> line and since i cannot actually log into linux i have to quit and reboot
> into macos.

Your problem is that the standard linux installation only deals with 16
partitions.

That means that in the /dev filesystem, only 16 entries per harddisk are
created (in your case /dev/hdb1 to /dev/hdb16).

If you need more, you can use the command mknod to create more entries.

Example:
mknod b /dev/hdb17 3 17

Since I don't have access to linux myself right now, I'm typing this off
of my head, so you should check it (for example on
http://www.rt.com/man/mknod.1.html if you don't have access to the linux
man pages)

The 'b' stands for block device
/dev/hdb17 is the entry in the /dev filesystem you want
3 is the major device number (I found this in /etc/filetypes or
something like that)
17 is the minor device number

Hope this helps,
Geert