Re: trouble installing on an ibook2

Subject: Re: trouble installing on an ibook2
From: Benjamin Reed (ranger@befunk.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:49:46 MST

Jamie Oulman [jfo@meka.org] wrote:
> im trying to install yellowdog 2.1 on a 600mhz ibook2. i can boot
> off the cd but when the installer try's to mount the dvd drive it fails.
> i currently have OS 9/X partitions on the drive that i was just going
> to remove once i got into the installer. but it wouldnt seem like that
> would be the problem. the drive shows up in the kernel boot messages.
>
> the media im using is brand new. i purchased it from a local bookstore.

I had this exact same problem, a good workaround came from Mark Pople:

1) Boot from YDL cdrom
2) Pick the "install-text" method of installation.
3) Proceed to the "Custom" or "Default" screen
4) switch to console #2 by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and then "f2"
   (in that order, not all at once).
5) type "echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media" (omit quotes)
6) switch back to the installer by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and
   then "f1" (in that order, not all at once).
7) Proceed with install.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger@befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/