RE: trouble installing on an ibook2

Subject: RE: trouble installing on an ibook2
mpople@orbeng.com
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:55:15 MST

Actually the fix came from megabight@mac.com i forwarded his email coz he
wasnt on the list.
Cheers
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Reed [mailto:ranger@befunk.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 December 2001 9:50 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com

Jamie Oulman [jfo@meka.org] wrote:
> im trying to install yellowdog 2.1 on a 600mhz ibook2. i can boot
> off the cd but when the installer try's to mount the dvd drive it fails.
> i currently have OS 9/X partitions on the drive that i was just going
> to remove once i got into the installer. but it wouldnt seem like that
> would be the problem. the drive shows up in the kernel boot messages.
>
> the media im using is brand new. i purchased it from a local bookstore.

I had this exact same problem, a good workaround came from Mark Pople:

1) Boot from YDL cdrom
2) Pick the "install-text" method of installation.
3) Proceed to the "Custom" or "Default" screen
4) switch to console #2 by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and then "f2"
   (in that order, not all at once).
5) type "echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/check_media" (omit quotes)
6) switch back to the installer by pressing: "alt","ctrl", "fn", and
   then "f1" (in that order, not all at once).
7) Proceed with install.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger@befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/

PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

The contents of this email (including any attachments) may be privileged and confidential. Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately (you can contact us by telephone on +61 8 9441 2311 by reverse charge) and then permanently delete this email together with any attachments. We appreciate your co-operation.

Whilst Orbital endeavours to take reasonable care to ensure that this email and any attachments are free from viruses or other defects, Orbital does not represent or warrant that such is explicitly the case

(C) 2000: Orbital Engine Company (Australia) PTY LTD and its affiliates