Re: Installing 7300/200 stalls on formatting

Subject: Re: Installing 7300/200 stalls on formatting
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 13:35:59 MST

>i have this exact same problem, on an 8500/120 with 32 megs of ram.
>
>after making sure i load the text based installer all goes well, i can make
>the partitions, but when i click save after i am done the progress bar
>appears, it might move one or two clicks, and then it just hangs, no disk
>activity, no screen activity and it never finishes as i have left it over
>night. i have done this about 6 or 7 times. the disk is fine, it takes mac
>os just fine, several times as well.
>
>i didnt know about the other consol to see error output so i dont know what
>mine says, but from what was posted here by Jon i think, it looks to me like
>the kernel doesn't have enough memory to load the module required to format
>a disk or read it or something.
>
>i think its just going to come down to you need at least 64 megs of ram to
>use even the YDL 2.1 text based installer. i'll be buying some more ram and
>let you know if that fixes the problem.
>

>blake

Hi again,
        Yes, I would definitely concur. I've done a YDL installation on a
7300/200 & a 7600/200, both first tried with 32MB with no success, then
with 64MB (stole 32MB out of the other machine) & it would without a hitch.
Somebody else said they had no trouble with 32MB, but that hasnt been my
experience at all - I've found 64MB to be the minimum for anything I've had
to do with linux. Once installed though, I found I could remove back to
32MB & it would boot fine.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au